SPOTLIGHT ON INDUSTRY: Keith Thomas, Brewlab Limited
Keith Thomas, Brewlab Limited
What is your background and current job role?
Brewlab is a leading provider of training and analysis services for the international brewing industry, based in purpose built premises on the banks of the river Wear in Sunderland. I am currently director of Brewlab Ltd, responsible for company developments and project management. I am also a senior lecture in Microbiology at the University of Sunderland teaching undergraduate, MSc and PhD students in microbiology, biotechnology and food sciences. My background in food and beverage production with specialisms in brewing, yeast physiology for food applications and developing novel raw materials.
What Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy (IBBE) related project is currently being undertaken by your organisation?
We have three major projects currently ongoing:
- Developing uses for brewing by-products with a focus on bioremediation and reintroduction into food products.
- Assessment of historic barley varieties for application to contemporary brewing.
- Matching of yeast strains to beverage characteristics.
What do you think the challenges related to this project are in the next 1-5 years?
- Molecular biology techniques to identify relevant microorganisms and genes which may assist bioremediation and food flavouring.
- Bulk scale trials.
- Compiling the range of flavours possible into a palatable beverage.
How can other CBMNet members help you and your organisation with your research?
Collaborations to provide specialist input.
You can contact Keith at email@example.com