CBMNet Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy Skills Development Programme Launched
CBMNet Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy (IBBE) Skills Development Programme Launched
The UK is globally renowned for its excellence in life sciences, chemistry and engineering technical capabilities, and both industry and academia benefit from the capability of graduates from UK universities. However, there is a shortage of graduates with the relevant skills that would allow them to step into an Industrial Biotechnology role.
”The aim of the CBMNet IBBE Skills Development Programme is to build Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy skills in the UK and inform early career scientist’s on the possible career paths available in IBBE”, Dr Jen Vanderhoven, CBMNet Manager explains.
”We carried out a review of the evidence for the skills gap in IBBE in the UK in late 2015 and found that there is currently very little training available that is directly related to the use of biological membranes in IBBE.”
The CBMNet IBBE Skills Development Programme will tackle the remaining skills gaps by providing the following free of charge to our members:
- ”Crossing Biological Membranes – Introduction to Industrial Biotechnology – Short Course” – We are extremely excited to announce our 3 day short course, hosted at The Centre for Process Innovation (CPI), which will provide delegates with a foundation understanding of the science behind the CBMNet remit and chance to see it in action in real life on-site at 2 different industrial organisations (CPI and Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies). In 2016 the course will take place in November and is now open for registration. We intend to run this course again in 2017 and 2018.
- CBMNet Early Career Researchers’ (ECRs) Symposium – In September 2016, we have created an opportunity for our PhD students and Post Docs to present their research to academics and industry. This event also features career-development workshops and activities, as well as sessions from individuals in academia, industry and outside the lab highlighting various career paths and opportunities. Registration is now open.
- CBMNet Early Career Researcher (ECR) Grants Scheme – We provide bursaries to allow ECRs to work with academic and industrial partners and to attend and present at relevant conferences and training events. To date we have funded a handful of successful grants which you can view here.
- CBMNet Vacation Scholarship Scheme – We provide scholarships for undergraduate students to carry out research projects of up to 10 weeks and which fall within the CBMNet remit. To date we have had 2 successful rounds and have just awarded 7 scholarships for 2016. Our next call will open in spring 2017. More information can be found here.
- NIBBs Joint workshop: Beyond the lab: developing your Industrial Biotechnology Career – CBMNet have sponsored 12 of its ECR members to attend this two day joint NIBBs event, developed in conjunction with Cogent Skills and The Industrial Biotechnology Leadership Forum. This is an excellent opportunity for PhD students and Post Docs to find out about possible career paths in Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy outside the lab.